Temp sensor possibly reading high

Here you can ask technical questions about UTCOMP-3 / UTCOMP-PRO compatibility and features.
g300d

Temp sensor possibly reading high

Postby g300d » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:14 pm

I have been reading oil temperatures on my UTComp Pro higher than what I had before.

I am using NTC temp sensors from you, programmed to UTComp based on spec sheet included with sensor.

I would like to check gauges first as car has no mechanical problems, with coolant temp in normal range.

Is there any situation that would cause NTC sensor to read high, and how to check if so?

I have oil temp NTC sensor white wire connected to ADVCC B8 and the blue ground wire to a common ground in fuse area IIRC.

ArT

Re: Temp sensor possibly reading high

Postby ArT » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:43 am

Usually failure of NTC sensor gives no temperature at all (no resistance between both pins).
You can check sensor, but you will need to remove it and measure resistance of it,e.g in boiling water or room temperature.
For room temperature 25C it should has about 50kOhm.
For boiling water 100C it should has about 3600 Ohms.

Alternative method is if you have OBD2 interface you can connect to vehicle and check oil or coolant temperature after 24 hours standing without running engine and then measure resistance on sensor with disconnected connector (without deassembling it) but method with boiling water should be more accurate because you will check directly interesting range around 100C.

Please masure it and let me know about your results.

Return to “UTCOMP technical support”