Troubleshooting occasional UTCOMP-PRO beep and reset causing dataloss

Here you can ask technical questions about UTCOMP-3 / UTCOMP-PRO compatibility and features.
Assiduous

Troubleshooting occasional UTCOMP-PRO beep and reset causing dataloss

Postby Assiduous » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:21 am

Greetings! My UTCOMP-PRO (v3.7 firmware) beeps, and resets mid-trip occasionally. On recent 2700km roadtrip, it reset once (at peak cabin temps, and just now during a short 30km test drive on a hot day ahead of another roadtrip. In each case, it the UTCOMP immediately recovers / reboots. Screws with datalog, and trip data is lost. Batt volts are reading good & car is functioning perfectly. Appreciate any troubleshooting advice / suggestions before I go to the trouble of a re-do of the +12v and GND connections.

ArT

Re: Troubleshooting occasional UTCOMP-PRO beep and reset causing dataloss

Postby ArT » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:20 am

I think that issue is not with +12V power line, because it has internal super capacitors. You can check if they functioning - just disconnect +12V main power supply from UTCOMP (USB should be disconnected too) and you should see summary screen for about 3-4 seconds (UTCOMP should not be powered - energy should be from internal caps), after reconnecting power supply you will hear "beep" (means UTCOMP power restart). If you disconnect it for 2 seconds and connect it again and you do not hear beep - it means capacitors are working fine and UTCOMP not restarted. But if capacitors are fine the issue may be with ground line, in case of wrong ground connection it may results in strange behaviours like restarts. It can be also noise on input pins, e.g. if you connect RPM signal from coil instead of hall sensor or you have e.g. assembled HID converter on the same power line - results may be the same. The other idea is inputs for DS sensors - if one of DS sensors is making occasionaly short circuit, UTCOMP detects to high power consumption and power is switched off, then consumption back to normal and it switch on - it can happen e.g. if one of your wires short circuit occasionaly on rough terrain. Diagnose in such case is not easy way, first I recommend to check capacitors I mentioned above, and as a next step I recommend to disconnect all external signal and leave only power connection to see if reset still occurs. You can also try to update to v3.8, there is very little chance that internal flash is corrupted and update (or even reprogramming v3.7) should fix it.

Return to “UTCOMP technical support”