Tracking Petrol tank by injector pulse and LPG tank by 5v

Here you can ask technical questions about UTCOMP-3 / UTCOMP-PRO compatibility and features.
Kaldek

Tracking Petrol tank by injector pulse and LPG tank by 5v

Postby Kaldek » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:40 am

Hi Artur, I have a dual fuel Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero (1998 Model) but the LPG system is a simple gas mixer type. It has a controller which disables the fuel injectors, and the UTCOMP can detect when it is active in LPG mode by monitoring the LPG electrovalve.

However what I need to do is monitor the LPG tank fuel level using a 5v signal derived from tank pressure. Can the UTCOMP, in its current version of 3.8, let me do that? The ADC inputs are limited to ""Fuel Level Sensor (PB/ON)".

ArT

Re: Tracking Petrol tank by injector pulse and LPG tank by 5v

Postby ArT » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:47 am

Fuel level from analog is only limited to PB/ON.
But you can use not used other analog value and scale is as tank in range of 0-100.
Eg for EGT you can scale it from 0EGT to 100EGT which will give 0-100% fuel level in second tank.
You can also later change EGT icon on display to your own viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:42 am

Thanks Artur, I just discovered that this unit also has an LPG Stepper motor for controlling gas flow. I'm going to look into monitoring its signals and use my own Arduino PCB to translate that into some semblance of an injector pulse I can send to the UTCOMP.

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:42 pm

Right I'm going to give this a shot. I'll try using an Arduino Nano Every to monitor ECU injector pulses, as well as the gas electrovalve and stepper motor. Based on known gas regulator output pressure, I'll use the stepper motor pulses as an estimate of gas flow. I'll use the Arduino Nano to generate outputs on separate digital pins that go to the UTCOMP pins A10 and A11.

If the gas electrovalve is on, I'll send signals to pin A11, otherwise I'll send the petrol signals on pin A10.

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:47 am

I've changed my mind. Given how rough the accuracy of this system would be, and that my injector pulses for the injectors are still seen even when the system is running on LPG, I've just added 25% to the injector pulse values for LPG compared to petrol.

It's inaccurate, but so would everything else be for a gas mixer ring style of LPG system. :D

Return to “UTCOMP technical support”