Need help selecting my components for UTCOMP (Pro)

Here you can ask technical questions about UTCOMP-3 / UTCOMP-PRO compatibility and features.
Timoes

Need help selecting my components for UTCOMP (Pro)

Postby Timoes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Hello, I need help selecting my components for UTCOMP.

I would like to install a display and read the following information. Logging is nice, but I don't need it urgently. The question, of course, is how many inputs do I need exactly, and of which type?

- EGT
I'll buy a single-channel amplifier. I already have several K-Type probes.

- Wideband Lambda Probe
I'll need it for my ECU anyway. Can I simply grab the cable and connect the UTCOMP in parallel? Like a Y-cable? It will be an Innovate LC-2.
I use the yellow cable for the ECU.
Can I use the brown cable for the display?
Source: https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc2.php
*Two fully programmable linear analog outputs to connect to analog gauges, dyno computers, ECUs, piggyback controllers, and other devices with analog inputs.
Analog Output #1 (Yellow) is configured as 0 volt = 7.35 AFR and 5 volts = 22.39 AFR;
Analog Output #2 (Brown) 1.1 volt = 14 AFR and .1 volt = 15 AFR.
With the provided LM Programmer software these analog outputs may also be configured by the user.

I can also configure the second output (brown) like the first one (yellow).

- Oil temperature
Need a new sensor. I have 3/8- or 1/8-NPT connections free. NTC analogue?

- Oil pressure
I have an OEM pressure transducer, but the display is not so important to me either.
I have an indicator in the speedometer, and separately an oil pressure warning light.
Hope to be able to pick up the signal from the pressure sensor, because I wouldn't like to have to use a separate sensor. Also 3/8- or 1/8-NPT connections are free. Alternatively an Oil and fuel pressure sensor 150 PSI 10 BAR?

- MAP sensor
I've got the original sensor of my car, I'd also like to pick it up. Can the value be configured? Alternatively, connect the Bosch sensor from the shop to the T-piece, or connect a hose directly to the inlet manifold?

- Airbox temperature (Intake)
Absolute "nice to have" but not necessary at all. Maybe the DS18B20 included in the Pro-Package would be suitable for this?
Alternativly an Temperature sensor for UTCOMP [3m] (waterproof)

Since I would like to use an external warning LED as soon as one of the critical values exceeds or falls below a defined maximum value, do I have to use the UTCOMP PRO module? Or could I replace the buzzer with an external relay?

I would like to be warned when one or more values are wrong:
EGT to high, oil temperature to high, oil pressure to low or to lean AFR.

In this thread I found an example that most of the time wants to measure the same values.
EGT + BOOST + AFR + OIL PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE [UTCOMP-PRO
Do my additional requirements still fit the UTCOMP PRO?

Enclosed a graphic which connection I would use.
Red = sensors
Green = occupied/used cable
Connections.png
Connections.png (158.37 KiB) Viewed 6579 times

Are my assumptions correct?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I want to make sure everything works the way I want it to.

With best regards, Timoes

My current shopping list:
1x UTCOMP-PRO [KIT]; Display: OLED 3,2" White; USB Cable: Yes
1x Display enclosure for UTCOMP-PRO
1x EGT-K [1-CH]
1x Oil and fuel pressure sensor 150 PSI 10 BAR
1x Oil and water temperature sensor NTC analog
1x 12-pin connector 150cm wires for UTCOMP; Exchange in settlement Yes
1x 24-pin connector 150cm wires for UTCOMP; Exchange in settlement Yes

ArT

Re: Need help selecting my components for UTCOMP (Pro)

Postby ArT » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Timoes,

Very good questions :-)

Timoes wrote:- EGT
I'll buy a single-channel amplifier. I already have several K-Type probes.

EGT-K output should be connected to AdcX 0-5V in UTCOMP.
Adc1 is fine.

Timoes wrote:- Wideband Lambda Probe
I'll need it for my ECU anyway. Can I simply grab the cable and connect the UTCOMP in parallel? Like a Y-cable? It will be an Innovate LC-2.
I use the yellow cable for the ECU.
Can I use the brown cable for the display?
Source: https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc2.php
*Two fully programmable linear analog outputs to connect to analog gauges, dyno computers, ECUs, piggyback controllers, and other devices with analog inputs.
Analog Output #1 (Yellow) is configured as 0 volt = 7.35 AFR and 5 volts = 22.39 AFR;
Analog Output #2 (Brown) 1.1 volt = 14 AFR and .1 volt = 15 AFR.
With the provided LM Programmer software these analog outputs may also be configured by the user.

I can also configure the second output (brown) like the first one (yellow).

You can just connect signal from Innovate analog output #1 (yellow) cable to any AdcX 0-5V in UTCOMP. All analog signals which are connected to AdcX can be connected with parallel with other ECU, so you can use single signal to ECU and to UTCOMP at the same time (Adc4 is fine).

Timoes wrote:- Oil temperature
Need a new sensor. I have 3/8- or 1/8-NPT connections free. NTC analogue?

This sensor is fine - it is 1/8 NPT and up to 150C. Should be connected to any AdcVccX input in UTCOMP.
AdcVcc1 is fine.

Timoes wrote:- Oil pressure
I have an OEM pressure transducer, but the display is not so important to me either.
I have an indicator in the speedometer, and separately an oil pressure warning light.
Hope to be able to pick up the signal from the pressure sensor, because I wouldn't like to have to use a separate sensor. Also 3/8- or 1/8-NPT connections are free. Alternatively an Oil and fuel pressure sensor 150 PSI 10 BAR?

If you have already connected pressure sensor in vehicle (linear with voltage output) you can connect this signal (in parallel) to UTCOMP AdcX input. It is probably 0-5V signal so 0-5V input will be fine (Adc3 is ok). Then you will need to scale it (please take a look for excel formula here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58) and it will work. Alternative option with separate sensor (3 wires sensor - voltage type) is also fine and it will use the same Adc3 input in UTCOMP. If you have resistance type sensor (2 wires) which is NOT connected in vehicle, then first wire should be connected to AdcVccX input and second wire to ground. If you have resistance type sensor (2 wires) which is already CONNECTED in vehicle, then you should connect only signal wire to AdcX inptut (Adc3 is fine too).

Timoes wrote:- MAP sensor
I've got the original sensor of my car, I'd also like to pick it up. Can the value be configured? Alternatively, connect the Bosch sensor from the shop to the T-piece, or connect a hose directly to the inlet manifold?

Yes you can pick it up. The same situation as with other analog voltage sensors (all can be connected in parallel with other device). Signal from MAP should be connected to AdcX (Adc2 is fine). Then you will need to scale it (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58) and it will work.

Timoes wrote:- Airbox temperature (Intake)
Absolute "nice to have" but not necessary at all. Maybe the DS18B20 included in the Pro-Package would be suitable for this?
Alternativly an Temperature sensor for UTCOMP [3m] (waterproof)

DS18B20 sensor from KIT will be good choice - it has high accuracy and range from -60C to +125C. Waterproof variant with cable will be also ok (this is the same type sensor), but I recommend to use this from KIT (without tube) - it will have faster response and smaller dimensions. DS18B20-A_ inputs are OK.

Timoes wrote:Since I would like to use an external warning LED as soon as one of the critical values exceeds or falls below a defined maximum value, do I have to use the UTCOMP PRO module? Or could I replace the buzzer with an external relay?

I would like to be warned when one or more values are wrong:
EGT to high, oil temperature to high, oil pressure to low or to lean AFR.

You can set alerts for all these values. When alerts trigger, then you will see triggered value on display (you can set warning time from 3s to 180s) and buzzer will give "beep beep beep". You can connect LED in parallel with buzzer, so it will flash 3 times (3x 0.5 - 1.0s). But.. it will also blink with any other buzzer beeps (you can disable beeps for keyboard in settings). You should use small resistor in series to limit current for LED (240 / 560 / 1k ohm will be fine -> smaller resitor = higher current for LED = higher brightness).

DigOutUser can be configured to trigger only for temperatures (engine, oil, outside, inside, user1, user2), speed or boost. It can not be set to trigger on EGT, AFR etc. DigOutUser is for low frequency signals - it should be used only for automatic control system. Output switch may have delay 0.2s - 1s after value triggered.

Timoes wrote:In this thread I found an example that most of the time wants to measure the same values.
EGT + BOOST + AFR + OIL PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE [UTCOMP-PRO
Do my additional requirements still fit the UTCOMP PRO?

Yes you need to use UTCOMP-PRO, because in UTCOMP-3 there will be not enough inputs for all required sensors (connector "B" is missing).

Timoes wrote:Enclosed a graphic which connection I would use.
Red = sensors
Green = occupied/used cable
Connections.png

Are my assumptions correct?

It's great :-)

If you will use stock oil pressure sensor (connected to B2/Adc3) then you will NOT need to connect B6 (+5V power) and B4 (ground) because it is already powered in vehicle. This is the case only for separate sensor wich should be powered.

Please feel free to ask if you will have any further questions.

Timoes

Postby Timoes » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.
I am sure I will build the system that way.

My MAP sensor is an OmniPower 4bar sensor that is linear:
050 kPa = V 0.563
100 kPa = V 1,168
150 kPa = V 1.774
200 kPa = V 2.379
250 kPa = V 2.984
300 kPa = V 3.589
350 kPa = V 4,195
400 kPa = V 4,800
Formula: 5V * (0.002421 * (PRESSURE in kPA) - 0.00842)
So I'm going to have the value of this sensor displayed directly.

Also the tip that the DS18B20 reacts faster without isolation helps me a lot! Maybe I will add a second sensor (A16-A18) to the intake system near the engine.
But it has priority for me to be able to use the IAT sensor of the engine.
The IAT comes from GM (identical to AEM IAT). Unfortunately I haven't found any satisfactory values yet.

GM IAT and OmniPower MAP

Timoes

Postby Timoes » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Found out the GM IAT isn't linear.
So I plan to install a second DB in/near the intake manifold.

ArT

Postby ArT » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Pressure should be scaled in BAR (1 bar = 100kPa) so formula for UTCOMP will be:
pressure [bar] = 0,83*voltage + 0,04
values for UTCOMP:
a = 0,83
b = 0,04 (for absolute pressure, use -0,96 if you need only boost pressure)

IAT is NTC sensor (99% sure) and you will need only calculate R25 (resistance in 25C) and Beta parameter. With above excel you can calculate it from 2 points of characterictis [ NTC(U) tab in excel ] so if you can measure voltage for 2 different temperatures then it should be enough for calibration.

Timoes

Postby Timoes » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 am

Yes, I wanted to do the conversion to Bar. I have only set the raw data here, because I have not ordered my UTComp yet and have not tested the values yet. Thank you very much for your conversion.

So far I have unfortunately found different values for the IAT sensor.
Here are 2 examples:
example1.PNG
example1.PNG (26.25 KiB) Viewed 6536 times

example2.PNG
example2.PNG (47.72 KiB) Viewed 6536 times

I evaluate the IAT sensor against my ECU until I find a real formula.

ArT

Postby ArT » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Hmm just try to measure voltage directly on sensor and you will see which one is correct.

Timoes

Postby Timoes » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 pm

The more time passes, the more I want to use UTComp Pro. But I am still preparing well.

EGT K-Type Amp:
On the IN site:
TC1 +/- to probe
GND & VCC to 12V board network? Fuse size?

Output site:
OUT1: Input A8 Adc1!
GND OUT: Where do I connect best? Unused B10 "Digital" GND?
In general, what to do with Ground if I want to use a 2 cable sensor?

Would also like to pick up the engine RPM. Found the signal on the ECU.
Difference between inputs: B1 DigInUser (RPM) or A11 DigInFc2 - LPG/RPM ??

Timoes

Postby Timoes » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am

Already found the answer to the EGT question in the forum. GND is not connected.

All I found for the sensors was the statement: Vehicle ground, i.e. A12 or together with it to the body.

ArT

Postby ArT » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:33 am

I'm sorry for long reply, our company was closed last week..

EGT-K IN side:
TC+ TC- are thermocouples connections
VCC & GND is power supply for EGT-K amplifier (you can connect it to +12V ignition so it will drain current only when ignition is switched on)

EGT-K OUT side:
OUT1 - connect to AdcX in UTCOMP (Adc1 is fine)
GND out - you can left it floated (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=319)

Please take a look at datasheet (wiring schema at page 2):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqr1zv2bkg7wx ... n.pdf?dl=0

RPM:
Both inputs (B1 DigInUser and A11 DigInFc1) can be used for RPM impulse signal. It does not matter (what you prefere).

Return to “UTCOMP technical support”