NTC Temp Sensor Connections

Here you can ask technical questions about UTCOMP-3 / UTCOMP-PRO compatibility and features.
DArtagnon

NTC Temp Sensor Connections

Postby DArtagnon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm struggling to understand how I should connect the 2-wire NTC temp sensors, can you provide some direction.

I have (2) of the NTC 2-wire sensors I purchased with the kit, I want to use one for water temp and one for transmission temp. They have a blue wire and a white wire. Can I connect this to the Adc pins (A8/A9) or do I have to use the AdcVcc pins (A20/B8). Which wire is the signal and which is ground?

Matthew

(I think I need to use the AdcVcc pins)

DArtagnon

Re: NTC Temp Sensor Connections

Postby DArtagnon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:03 pm

Here is my proposed wiring.

UTCOMP Pinout.jpg
UTCOMP Pinout.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 4978 times

ArT

Postby ArT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:47 am

One wire should be connected to Ground, and second wire to AdcVccX input (it will not work with AdcX input).
Wire colours does not matter (it is resistance sensor).

DArtagnon

Postby DArtagnon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:31 pm

ArT wrote:One wire should be connected to Ground, and second wire to AdcVccX input (it will not work with AdcX input).
Wire colours does not matter (it is resistance sensor).

Thanks.

Help me understand something. The manual indicates that the AdcX inputs also support NTC type sensors. I presume then, that would be a 3-wire sensor that gets power from another source?

ArT

Postby ArT » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

AdcX support NTC sensors which are already powered from ECU (with pullup) so you already have voltage signal which may be connected to AdcX input.

If NTC sensor is not connected then you have only resistance and it requires pullup to functional, so AdcVccX should be used.

AdcVccX inputs are with pullups to +5V (single wire for sensor power and measurement)
AdcX inputs are voltage inputs (without pullup, single wire is only for voltage measurement)

Return to “UTCOMP technical support”