Utcomp in a CAT excavator?

Here you can ask technical questions about UTCOMP-3 / UTCOMP-PRO compatibility and features.
svein

Utcomp in a CAT excavator?

Postby svein » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 am

A friend of mine have bought an old CAT excavator, and we are looking at upgrading and fixing some gauges.
I have put him on the idea of replacing old ugly, nonfunctioning and new gauges with an Utcomp.

Do you have any advices on how easy or not it would be?
The original display shows water temperature, hydraulic oil temperature, fuel level, oil temperature, and we would like to add oil pressure as well.

One of the gauges was tapped from the original display unit, so I was able to measure the voltage. With engine off I measured 4.7V, and when we started the engine it showed 6V, going down to 5,7V after a while. I haven´t been able to measure the other gauges yet, but I put my friend on the task of digging up documentation.

From what I´ve written here - how realistic would it be to be able to tap the 4 existing gauges on the excavator?

ArT

Re: Utcomp in a CAT excavator?

Postby ArT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Hmmm need to know sensors outputs. Generally all this reading can be achieved in UTCOMP, but if you would like to use stock sensors from stock gauge then we need to measure them all and try to scale it before UTCOMP assembly and we will know. It also depends if you would like to connect stock sensors ONLY to utcomp or left it also connected to stock wiring and stock gauges.

For temperatures we will need temperature/voltage table or temperature/resistance table if it will be connected only to utcomp (and disconnected from stock wiring).
For pressure: pressure/voltage table if it is voltage sensor or pressure/resistance if it is resistance sensor and it will be connected only to utcomp.
For fuel level: voltage at 0% fuel and voltage at 100% fuel or if you connect sensor only to UTCOMP then resistance for min/max levels.

svein

Postby svein » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 am

Cool!

The Goal would be to eliminate the stock gauge panel completely - Allthough Im thinking it might be an Idea to leave it inside the console somewhere to power the existing sensors so the utcomp just Could tap the signals.

I am most worried about the Voltage range of the sensor as I measured outputs above 5v. I suppose this theoretically Could be sorted with addibg some resistors in series with the sensor?

ArT

Postby ArT » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:30 am

There is one 0-30V input in UTCOMP-PRO but other 0-5V can be quite easy modified or you can use voltage divider on AdcX inputs.
I recommend you to measure these sensors (resistance table - directly on unplugged sensor) and measure voltages (plugged sensor - ignition on) and we will see what possibilities we have.

Return to “UTCOMP technical support”