ECT inaccuracy since change NTC change

Here you can ask technical questions about UTCOMP-3 / UTCOMP-PRO compatibility and features.
Kaldek

ECT inaccuracy since change NTC change

Postby Kaldek » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:57 am

Since UTCOMP v3.5 and the introduction of "simplified" calibration of NTC sensors, I find that my ECT is now less accurate and the temperature tends to swing wildly (up to 10 degrees C). My sensor taps the ECT sensor feed going to the ECU from the 3-wire 5 volt referenced engine coolant temperature sensor.

I calibrated the sensor from ambient (cold engine) to operating temperature (82C) according to the data from my engine data logger (EvoScan).

Data in EvoScan might show a steady 85 degrees, however the ECT reading in UTCOMP will swing wildly from, say, 77C to 88C over a period of a couple of seconds.

Can I get some guidance on better calibrating the R25 and Beta values, or perhaps a smoothing algorithm in UTCOMP v3.8 for NTC sensors to cater for the inaccuracies caused by the introduction of the simplified method?

ArT

Re: ECT inaccuracy since change NTC change

Postby ArT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 am

Hi Kaldek,

Could you send me your settings file before update and after update? And your voltage/temp table. I'll check it.

BR
Artur

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 am

ArT wrote:Could you send me your settings file before update and after update? And your voltage/temp table. I'll check it.

Hi Artur, it turns out this was my fault. I had installed a bad radiator cap which caused an air pocket to be trapped in the system and cause inconsistent cooling, which explains the massive temperature swings.

I have replaced the radiator cap, correctly burped the coolant, and it has resolved the problem.

ArT

Postby ArT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Uffff ;)
Thanks for info.

Return to “UTCOMP technical support”