Using DS18B20 as an Air Intake Temperature sensor

Here you can ask technical questions about UTCOMP-3 / UTCOMP-PRO compatibility and features.
AdyH

Using DS18B20 as an Air Intake Temperature sensor

Postby AdyH » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:01 pm

As I am already using my other Computer inputs for other sensors, I was wondering if it is possible to use the DS18B20 sensors for Air intake temperature measurements.Their temperature range and accuracy are good enough but do they act fast enough to rapid changes in temperature which occur in Forced Induction Intake manifolds ?. I am already using an IAT sensor in the inlet plenum for actual measurements required for the engines ECU,which I am also using on one of the Adx inputs, but I want to use this input now for a Fuel Pressure transducer (0-5v) instead.
So I want to use my two remaining digital sensor inputs (C and D) for two air temperature sensors before (at the supercharger outlet) and after the intercooler (In the plenum). But they need to be quick enough acting for this purpose.
I will cement them into a cage type sensor housing similar to other IAT sensors, where the body of the sensor is fully exposed to the air.
Thanks

ArT

Re: Using DS18B20 as an Air Intake Temperature sensor

Postby ArT » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:10 am

They can be used, but refreshing rate depends on how many DS sensor you have connected:
1 sensor = refreshing every 1.5s
2 sensors = refreshing every 3s
3 sensors = refreshing every 4.5s
4 sensors = refreshing every 6s

AdyH

Re: Using DS18B20 as an Air Intake Temperature sensor

Postby AdyH » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:18 am

Thanks for that Art.
With four sensor the refresh rate of 6 seconds will be far too slow for IAT sensors in a forced induction system.
I will have to rethink and use NTC thermistor sensors for the IAT (on AdcVcc1 and 2) which will be quick acting, and use the DS18B20 digital sensors for Oil temp and Fuel Temp where the refresh rate won't be an issue.
Thanks

Return to “UTCOMP technical support”