Mitsubishi Galant/Legnum VR4 1996-2002

Have you already installed UTCOMP? Share it with others!
Kaldek

Mitsubishi Galant/Legnum VR4 1996-2002

Postby Kaldek » Sun May 29, 2016 3:47 am

Hi folks,

I'm in the middle of installing a UTCOMP-Pro to My 2001 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 (twin turbo AWD 2.5 V6). I have it installed already and will update this post with images and so forth, but in the meantime I will use this post as a placeholder for the settings that work.

IMG_20160606_152138.jpg
IMG_20160606_152138.jpg (984.65 KiB) Viewed 14444 times

The UTCOMP screen replaces the factory clock. The clock holder pops out without any screws and is easily modified using a dremel to fit the OLED screen and allow for it to be secured using hot glue. The UTCOMP is mounted behind the console that surrounds the radio.

DISCLAIMER/WARNING: For those of you in America or Australia, remember that the UTCOMP calculations for pressure sensor calibration are always in BAR, *not* PSI. You MUST convert any PSI values to BAR before calculating calibration data.

Engine Coolant Temperature sensor
The engine coolant can be monitored using the ECU Water temperature sensor on pin #13 (yellow/green) connector C39. Connect this to one of the Adc wires on the UTCOMP and set this input to "Temperature Sensor NTC-1". The default calibration works well at operating temperature but reads too high at low temperature. I measured the coolant temperature registered in EvoScan (similar to an OBD2 scanner) and every 10 degrees I checked the voltage seen by the UTCOMP. The resulting table I created results in calibration values of A=130, t=1.8, T0=-8. I will re-check these results and update them here if I am proven wrong.

Vehicle Speed
Monitor speed from the Vehicle speed sensor, which is connected to the ECU on pin #16 (White/Green) connector C39. Connect this to pin A22 on the UTCOMP.
Vehicle speed settings are 0.400 metres per impulse. The stock settings of 0.2 made the speed read exactly half what the dash speedometer showed. This calibration matches the speedometer exactly, but it provides a slightly incorrect odometer reading between the car and the UTCOMP. I have asked if a new software feature can be added which allows displayed speed to be slightly different than measured distance.

Fuel consumption
Monitor fuel consumption from the injector #1 trigger wire. This is pin #1 (black/red) on connector C33 at the ECU. This is a PWM Ground switched trigger. Accurate calibration of fuel consumption over a 170km drive gave me an injector constant of 0.00567. These results will be for stock injectors with the stock fuel pressure regulator. If you have different injectors or have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, the results I have posted here won't work for you.

AEM Boost Gauge
Connected from the 5v output wire of the gauge to an Adc input on the UTCOMP. Calibration data for this sensor is a=0.91, b=-1.50 if you want the gauge to read 0 psi at sea level with the engine off (i.e. no vacuum), otherwise you will be shown absolute pressure (14.7psi at sea level). I just wish the UTCOMP was able to switch between psi and inches of mercury for vacuum because it is still common to switch between inches of mercury for vacuum and then psi for boost. Most gauges work this way.

AEM Wideband AFR Gauge
Connected from the 5v output wire of the gauge to an Adc input on the UTCOMP. As per the calibration tables provided by AEM, the values to calibrate this input are a=1.99, b=10.01.

Oil temperature sensor
This is a sensor which was connected to an Innovate MTX gauge, however that gauge did not have any 5 volt outputs so I had to remove the gauge and connect the sensor directly to the UTCOMP. I have connected this sensor to one of the AdcVcc inputs and setting this input to be Temperature Sensor NTC-2. I am currently trying calibration data for a Bosch M12 sensor, but do not yet know if this is correct. Innovate have refused to provide me calibration data for this sensor so I am stuck with this calibration. So far it seems accurate.

Currently I am using A=160, t=1.8, T0=0.5

Oil pressure sensor
This is also one of the sensors from the Innovate MTX gauge, and is apparently the same model as sold by STRI in their X-Line series. It is labelled "GO-521". I have connected this sensor to one of the AdcVcc inputs as well, and it has a 0-110psi (0-8 bar) range with 247-21 ohm resistance values. The calibration data is a=-8.84 and b=8.75 as my gauge reads 0 pressure at 235 ohms rather than 247.
Last edited by Kaldek on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:32 am, edited 24 times in total.

Kaldek

Re: Mitsubishi Galant/Legnum VR4 1996-2002

Postby Kaldek » Sun May 29, 2016 4:10 am

Last edited by Kaldek on Mon May 30, 2016 6:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Sun May 29, 2016 11:10 am

Last edited by Kaldek on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:29 am

I've performed the calibration. After a 170km drive the accurate calibration is: 0.00567. A difference of only 0.00005 from the original guess of 0.00572. Not a bad original guess!

The UTCOMP said I had consumed 19.4 litres of fuel, and the actual amount I filled was 19.3. Over a 170km journey that difference is so small that I was *already* within 1% tolerance from a guess based purely on my experience with the car's fuel economy. Pretty chuffed with myself.

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:52 am

For some extra information on calibration of the boost sensor, getting a reading of 0 psi (or bar) requires that you know what the voltage of the sensor will be when the engine is not running. The easiest way to get this data is to check the voltage that the UTCOMP is seeing for this sensor input on your Adc pin and note it down.

Next, go into the UTCOMP application and then the Advanced tab and then the Pressure tab within that window. Use the calculator on the right to enter the voltage you recorded in the top left cell and then enter zero in the top-right cell.

For the bottom left cell, enter the voltage your sensor outputs for its maximum pressure reading, and in the bottom right cell enter the pressure in bar that the sensor reads at that voltage, then press the "Calculate" button. Use the calculated values and enter them into the boost/pressure calibration cells on the left side of the window.

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:09 am

I recently replaced my oil pressure and temperature sensors with the sensors as sold by Reveltronics in the online shop, and used those new calibration settings. In doing so I realised that these three wire pressure sensors are also good for monitoring fuel pressure. My car already has a 1/8 NPT tap into a fuel rail extension for this purpose.

So, I purchased another sensor. However as UTCOMP v3.3 only allows two pressure sensor readings, I had to get creative. I don't always want to monitor fuel pressure so I just took the two sensor feeds from oil and fuel pressure, and connected them to a three way switch. The switch output feeds into one of the ADC inputs I have configured for monitoring oil pressure.

This way, I can easily switch between monitoring oil and fuel pressure because both the sensors have the same calibration data.

When Artur releases a new version of UTCOMP software with the ability to monitor more pressure feeds, I'll remove the switch and connect the fuel pressure sensor feed into the last remaining ADC port.

ArT

Postby ArT » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:58 am

Smart :)
Update v3.4 will be available tomorrow.

Return to “Examples of assembly”