Change SM SFP+ to MM SFP+ (single-mode to multi-mode)

Here you can ask technical questions about REVELPROG-IS and device/memory programming.
vbot

Change SM SFP+ to MM SFP+ (single-mode to multi-mode)

Postby vbot » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:28 pm

HI,

Question for Reveltronics community. I have two 10G SFP+ modules from the same manufacturer XenOpt.
One is Singlemode XTS31A-10LY (1300nm) the other is Multimode XTM85A-M3LY (850nm). Both works fine!
The problem is that my Data Storage support only SFP+ module which is Multimode (strange, but true).
On other side of the optical fibre is Cisco 9500 router on which everything works fine SM and MM.

I would like to change SM SFP+ module settings in EEPROM to show as it is MM fibre SFP+ instead of SM ( and some other parameters).
The idea is to use Single Mode 10G SFP+ module and SM fibre for data link, but to advertise it to Data Storage that SFP+ module is MM.

I have tried password brute force method on SM and MM with no success unfortunately (6+ days for each).
Reading A0 shows that module has vendor name FINISAR (that's bad for me).
I have opened SFP+ modules and instead of EEPROM there is CPU SIL F330 from Silicon Lab. Therefore 4000 psw/s writes is possible.
But no luck. Do you recommend any other SM 10G SFP+ module that you know that it is possible to write to SFP+ EEPROM specifics parameters I described, so I can buy one I try my idea.

If I did something wrong with PBFM, please advice.

Regards!

vBot

vbot

Re: Change SM SFP+ to MM SFP+ (single-mode to multi-mode)

Postby vbot » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:07 am

Hi,

good news for those who have the similar problem I had. I have purchase 10G SFP+ module from 10Gtek company.
Exact module type is AXS13-192-10 and it is SFP+ LR 1310nm 10km class module.
The module has unlocked EEPROM filed, so you can basically write anything you want in it.
There is actually non EEPROM inside, but CPU SILICON LABS C8051F396 instead.

After fey modification in A0 address space and adjusted checksums I managed to convinced my Data Storage to think it has
MM-850nm SFP+ SR class plugged in, but there is actually SM-1310nm SFP+ LR class module inserted.

Problem solved!
Regards!

vBot

Return to “Technical Support”