Autodetect IC (mostly SPI)

Here you can ask technical questions about REVELPROG-IS and device/memory programming.
KALLE

Autodetect IC (mostly SPI)

Postby KALLE » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:10 pm

Hey,
I'm new to the programmer but searched the board for "Autodetect" / "Detect" and so on for the more or less common feature on other programmers. - I just wanted to confirm that this function is really not (yet?) implemented?

I really miss an Autodetect IC feature. I would be okay to somewhat agree that it might only work on SPI and specified voltages or something. I'm mostly using SPI 3.3v and I really miss the autodetect function.

ArT

Re: Autodetect IC (mostly SPI)

Postby ArT » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 pm

You can find READ ID function in tools -> Read ID and then you will need to select protocol (e.g. SPI 25 series, 1-wire etc) and voltage (because programmer supports also low voltage chips and when you select to high voltage for low voltage chip you can damage it). It will display you ID of memory and designation if it will be recognized but you will still need to select chip manually from database

KALLE

Postby KALLE » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:55 pm

I saw the function but could you somewhat improve this?
at least after using Read ID (should get a button in the main UI) something like "select and apply" so that no extra step to select it in the database afterwards is necessary. Maybe something like a default mode or like a session would be at least come in handy if someone uses just one type most of the time. (like if i close with SPI settings, SPI is selected, voltage and so on)

ArT

Postby ArT » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 am

Thank you for your suggestions. One more hint - in REVELPROG-IS there are also 'smart' procedures for FLASH SPI 25 series - you do not have to select specific device - only family and voltage, for example if you select FLASH -> 25 series -> 25..64 [PP] and 3.3V then it will programm you all FLASH 64Mb (even if you do not have to know exact ID, only size and voltage should be known). Last selected device is remembered when you restart application so you do not have to select it every time.

KALLE

Postby KALLE » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:36 pm

I see. It is disabled by default or I disabled the "remember last selected device" in Options.
I have seen the general stuff about 25...64 / 256 and so on. This is nice, no doubt but if the Size of the SPI changes (you may work on two devices) than you have to select the other type to get the (full) dump.
With the option enabled the Hexview on starup btw looks like 1kb - I had 25..64 last selected (this looks confusing in the UI).
And the selected voltage does not get saved. It defaults back to 2.8v.

My problem is: If I work on 2 devices with different sizes 8MB and 16MB it would be easier /more efficent for me to just press 1 button (autodetect) and than read. Without the "trouble" to switch between the IC sizes within dialogs. - I would understand that some kind of warnings (can be disabled) may appear on the first run to confirm that everbody know what he/she is doing in relation to the voltage settings.
Last edited by KALLE on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KALLE

Postby KALLE » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:41 pm

And please auto-calculate crc32. the extra click in the statusbar is just unnecessary nowadays (or make an option to always autocalculate crc in options)

KALLE

Postby KALLE » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:05 am

Hm... nothing to add here?

ArT

Postby ArT » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:04 am

Thank you for your suggestions, it will be considered, nothing to add at the moment.
CRC32 calculation from big buffers is time consuming that's why it's necessary to click CRC32 for >8Mb buffer - it will calculate CRC32 only when you request it.

KALLE

Postby KALLE » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:43 am

"...it will be considered, nothing to add at the moment."
not sure how I should take this info. I'm not really asking for much besides better useability / easier workflow from my pov or at least options (like auto crc32) to do so.

ArT

Postby ArT » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:35 am

Dear KALLE, I understand your needs, I already wrote down it and these suggestions are already added to TODO list and it will be considered during developing by programmer at the right time. I'm writing "it will be considered" because at the moment it's not possible, it may be changed in future but I can't promise it, I'm sorry. As I wrote there is a reason why CRC32 is calculated on user request for larger buffers and there is a reason why chip is not selected automatically. We can prepare custom made software with automatic CRC for all size buffers but we can not prepare autoselect flash at the moment. Please feel free to ask if you will have any further questions.

Return to “Technical Support”