CISCO MODULE SIGNATURE Information

Here you can ask technical questions about REVELPROG-IS and device/memory programming.
palashgoyal

CISCO MODULE SIGNATURE Information

Postby palashgoyal » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:46 pm

Cisco original SFP contains a signature and is unique for every serial number. Cisco switch checks the signature to detect original compatible transceiver.
I have also noticed that the Cisco SFP bytes 96 to 127 have different signature encoding on each module. Does this affect the SFP from working properly?
The signature become unequal the serial number when you make changes in the code field such as Vendor name, Serial number and etc. You have to update the signature after changes to make the code compatible with Cisco.
Does anyone know how to generate cisco signature for any information changed to original code, please share your thoughts, Thanks

Best,
Palash Goyal

thankfly

Re: CISCO MODULE SIGNATURE Information

Postby thankfly » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:13 am

Yes, Cisco needs a signature for every serial number. and it requires Vendor name, Serial number and Date to generate a special signature.

palashgoyal

Postby palashgoyal » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:50 pm

Hi, thanks for your quick response
Are we capable of generating cisco signature for any changes made in serial no, vendor information, if so, how do I generate it?
if not, what is the possible solution to it? Please let me know

Best,
Palash Goyal

thankfly

Postby thankfly » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:47 am

Yes, you can generate signature for any serial No with the correct encryption method.
Sorry for cannot share this encryption.
You can contact me in private.

juho

Postby juho » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:13 pm

thankfly wrote:Yes, you can generate signature for any serial No with the correct encryption method.

Do you have this signature method available?

thankfly

Postby thankfly » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:31 am

juho wrote:
thankfly wrote:Yes, you can generate signature for any serial No with the correct encryption method.

Do you have this signature method available?

I have, I can provide you some bin files if you need.

semperdi

Postby semperdi » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:09 pm

Hallo
I would be also interested on generating signature for 3rd party sfp
Can you share the generator or information how to calculate the signature
thanks
dieter

thankfly

Postby thankfly » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:23 am

semperdi wrote:Hallo
I would be also interested on generating signature for 3rd party sfp
Can you share the generator or information how to calculate the signature
thanks
dieter

Sorry for cannot share this. :(

zburget

Module for H3C/HP

Postby zburget » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:54 pm

Hi,
I know that this thread is about Cisco, but the debate has already begun to take a more general direction. Therefore, let me ask here.

I've switches H3C/HP A5800 and I've a lot of OEM SFP modules. If module is coded as "common / general", works in my switches. So, the line lights up, the data flows through., but in console is message:
This is not a supported transceiver for this platform. HPE does not guarantee the normal operation or maintenance of unsupported transceivers. Please review the platform datasheet on the HPE web site or contact your HPE sales rep for a list of supported transceivers.

And not work DDM and is not possible to read manufacturer information (S/N and date code).

O.K. I've some generic code, with which module works better. Works DDM, but in manufacturer info is the "generic" serial number and date code.

I have found the following about the code:
In block A0h in bytes 60h - 62h is string "H3C"
In block A2h in page 02 is H3C (HP?) specific code:
bytes 80h - 95h is serial number (ASCII)
bytes 96h - 9Dh is date code
other bytes are a mystery to me :-)

Small problem is that serial number and date code are at two positions. At standard positions in A0h block and at H3C (HP) specific positions in A2h block, page 02. If I insert module to "generic" switch, informations from A0h block is read. If I insert module to H3C/HP switch, i get informations from A2h block.
If I change serial number and/or date code in A2h block, H3C/HP switch don't identify module as HP compatible any more :-(
Somewhere is some checksum / hash.
My question is - know anyone where is this checksum / hash and know anyone algorithm for its calculation?

If it would be preferable to make this post in a separate thread, please moderator for its transfer.
Zbyněk Burget

Return to “Technical Support”