93c86 verification error [SOLVED]

Here you can ask technical questions about REVELPROG-IS and device/memory programming.
Flam89

93c86 verification error [SOLVED]

Postby Flam89 » Sat May 28, 2022 6:29 am

Hi,

While I've left the info from the original posts here. I solved the problem by not using a file provided to me by a contractor. I was able to connect a read the file from a cluster I had, and I was able to write that file to another cluster. That's my read write problem solved. The Revelprog IS worked great for this and it was easy to use. But I now have to figure how to change (increase) the KM's on the reprogrammed cluster. I will make another post on the forum for that.

I am a newbie to this but I have done a lot of reading on what to do. I am moving to the UK from Australia and had a bad experience with a instrument cluster guy who robbed me and did nothing. That motivated me to educate myself and then try to do what I needed to do myself, so I purchased the RPIS.

I have a company willing to calibrate the file I recover from my cluster so that

1. The odometer is corrected from KMs to miles
2. Program the speedo sweep for MPH
3. Program the distance travelled in miles.

I understand 2, and 3 go hand in hand.

I have a company willing to do that bit. I just have to retrieve the file from the 93c86 chip, and then save the calibrated file back to the chip when it's been calibrated.

The company calibrating my clusters sent me a test file, and when I've tried to write it I am getting the error.
'Verification error at address 0x00. Operation cancelled'
Tip: you can read device and use DiffChecker too for
comparison.

I have not reassembled the cluster to test it.

I previously read on the post on this forum that leaving pins 6 and 7 disconnected should be tried. They were not connected when I tried to write the test file, and I did not yet try to write the test file with pins 6 and 7 connected.

What should I do

Should I connect pins 6 and 7 and try again?
I have chose 93x86 16 bit
I have volt set at 2.5v
RP SS Verification error.png
RP SS Verification error.png (98.36 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Last edited by Flam89 on Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArT

Re: 93c86 verification error

Postby ArT » Sat May 28, 2022 7:51 am

Please check this datasheet of random 93c86:
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/ ... 21132F.pdf

Pin 6 is ORG and pin 7 is PE.
ORG - is memory organization 8-bit or 16-bit, you do not have to connect it if default memory organization is 16-bit
PE - is program enable - you have to connect it for ERASE and WRITE, you do not have to connect it for READ, but! if you are programming in external circuit (without desoldering the chip) this pin can be connected to ground in your circuit (memory write protected) - in such case you will need to desolder the chip and programm it in adapter.

Additionaly, there are few different 93c86 from different manufacturers. Generally there are 5V chips and some of them requires more than 2,5V for programming.

Please remember to make copy of your chip before any writing and make sure that this copy is fine.

Flam89

Re: 93c86 verification error

Postby Flam89 » Sat May 28, 2022 8:36 am

Firstly, Thanks for the reply and your efforts to help. I am a little more of a novice than I'd like to be, a beginner. So in a way I see connecting the leads and revelprog all mechanical work. I don't need programming skills when I am uploading or downloading a file. In that sense I couldn't fully understand your answer.

I just checked the chip and it reads.

S93A86
ADDVEX

This is a cluster I had provided to my cluster guy who (in the end) let me down). I've found a contractor who can modify the file for me, but...I need to download from the chip and write back to it. You mentioned pin 6 and 7, but in my original post I said they were NOT connected. I did not connect them becasue of what was said in another post on the forum.

I feel I am still a bit confused as my question was: what does the verification error I got mean? - can you advise?

ArT

Re: 93c86 verification error [SOLVED]

Postby ArT » Mon May 30, 2022 7:54 am

Don't worry, I understand, everyone started some time ago ;)
First of all, verification error at address 0x00 (first byte in memory) means that first byte after write is not the same as it should be. When you read memory one more time (after this unsuccessful write) you can check if anything changed. If bytes do not changed it means that erase and write is not working at all. If it changed to other value than expected it means that operation is working but not properly.

In first case, memory can be write protected. I mentioned before about pin 7 = PE (program enable). Program enable means that connecting ground to this pin memory is write protected and you can not erase it and can not write to memory. So pin 7 should be connected to programmer if you need to write to memory (programmer gives power supply to this pin so write may be possible), it can be left unconnected only if you read. Additionaly, this pin SHOULD NOT be connected to ground in circuit, because when programmer give power supply and it will be connected to ground at the same time you will make short circuit.

In second case - issues may be in many places, e.g. bus conflict. If you programming in circuit, your chip is also communicating with other chips (e.g. main processor) on the same board using the same bus. If you try to programm (bus is shared with programmer), communication will be with errors and programmed data will be corrupted. The same efect may be if you choose 16-bit memory (this is the case only for 93x devices) but on board chip is configured as 8-bit. Pin 6 = ORG is responsible for selecting 8 or 16 bit configuration. Sometimes this pin is not used, sometimes it's connected to fixed voltage on board and selecting wrong configuration in programmer (e.g. 16-bit instead of 8-bit) it will gives write errors (verification error) or overcurrent error. You need to know what voltage is connected on this pin in board before programming.

If you will try to programm the device with to low voltage level it also may gives errors from 1st or 2nd case.

Generally, programming in external circuit requires some skills and experience. There are some possible traps explained in manual Chapter 5. I highly recommend you to desolder the chip and programm it in programmer socket, it's easier for beginners and it will work without issues.

PS. I see that you have changed topic name to solved - do you succeed with programming it? :)

Return to “Technical Support”