25Q256JWEQ programming via jspi1 12 pin

Here you can ask technical questions about REVELPROG-IS and device/memory programming.
morestyles

25Q256JWEQ programming via jspi1 12 pin

Postby morestyles » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi i have just purchased a Revelprog-IS to try and rescue a bricked msi tomahawk x570 and i realy dont want to desolder the bios chip .
on the motherboard there is a jspi1 header that im assuming i could connect the to the In Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) tape ?

the pins on the motherboard jspi1 socket are as follows

name pin pin name
VCC 1 2 VCC
SO 3 4 SI
#SS 5 6 CLK
GND 7 8 GND
NC 9 10 NC (no pin)
#WP 11 12 #HOLD

i hope someone can help as its cost me a fortune to try and fix this motherboard but i thought rather than buy a new one
buy a Revelprog-IS for half the price of a motherboard fix it then i have a fixed motherboard and a programmer also

i have used a multimeter to trace pins 1 to 8 of my bios chip to the correct pin on the jspi1 connector and
in the manual for the Revelprog-IS it says connection is straight „1 to 1” so that means pin one on
Revelprog-IS icsp to the traced pin one on the jspi1 headeron the motherboard ?

ArT

Re: 25Q256JWEQ programming via jspi1 12 pin

Postby ArT » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:30 am

VCC = VPP in programmer
SO = MISO
SI = MOSI
SS = CS
GND = GND
WP = Write Protect - please make sure that this pin is not connected to ground (GND) - if this pin is connected to ground writing and erasing will NOT work in circuit (only reading).

so when you select W25Q256JW from memory database you will see such connections:
w25q256jw.png
w25q256jw.png (126.3 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

so you should connect:

Pin 1 of programmer (CS) to pin 5 in motherboard (SS)
Pin 2 of programmer (MISO) to pin 3 (SO)
Pin 3 of programmer (WP) to pin 11 (WP) - please make sure that this pin is NOT connected to GND before connecting
Pin 4 of programmer (GND) to pin 7 (GND)
Pin 5 of programmer (MOSI) to pin 4 (SI)
Pin 6 of programmer (SCK) to pin 6 (CLK)
Pin 7 of programmer (HLD) can be left unconnected
Pin 8 of programmer (VPP) to pin 1 (VCC)

Programming voltage (VPP) should be 1.8V.

FLASH should not communicate with other MCUs on board when you connect power supply from programmer - otherwise you will have bus conflict and communication error. In such case you will need to desolder the chip. You can also try to decrease voltage to 1.7V or 1.6V so chip will still communicate and there is a chance that other devices connected to the same VCC line will be in reset mode.

morestyles

Postby morestyles » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:24 pm

Great info there thanks
i will try it tonight when i get back from work

morestyles

Postby morestyles » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:11 pm

wow them instructions were spot on
i did check out the connection diagram in the software but i was a bit confused and needed to see it exactly how you put it in your post thanks
I had to attach some more jumper cables to the existing ICSP ribbon cable and break the plastic ends off so they would fit side by side on the jspi1 header. pictures down below
i had a few erase errors and verify errors and realised that the wire going to pin 11 on my motherboard was a loose fit and if i just held it when i was programming it seemed to work
im assuming the motherboard is going to work now but wont know 100% untill i build the pc up ,i do think it will be ok though as before the motherboards bios flashback recovery would not work but i just tried it and it behaved exactly as it should i plugged in power, the usb stick with bios file on it and pressed the flashback button it started up the board then fan spun my usb stick flashed for a while then after about 3 mins it rebooted the board this is classed as a sucessfull flash of the bios
so thanks for the realy informative post in helping me to get theis fixed
Attachments
Optimized-jumper mod .jpg
Optimized-jumper mod .jpg (548.26 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Optimized-headder connections.jpg
Optimized-headder connections.jpg (579.85 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

ArT

Postby ArT » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:05 am

Awesome. If verification pass it will work :-)

morestyles

Postby morestyles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:10 pm

i just built the pc up today and it works perfectly thanks
just one thing is when i flashed the file to the corrupt bios
the origional bios didnt seem to retain my serial number or my uuid of my motherboard
my questions are will this cause any problems ? and am i able to edit this info back into the bios
file then reflash it ?
ps i know this inst a pc help forum but im assuming someone would know how to edit the bios
file with ufei tools before reflashing it thanks
Attachments
20220626_205525.jpg
20220626_205525.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 1877 times

Return to “Technical Support”