Assembly oil temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor 0-10 bar from Auto Gauge

Tips for UTCOMP's features and tutorials for assembling additional sensors in vehicles.
JTDpower

Assembly oil temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor 0-10 bar from Auto Gauge

Postby JTDpower » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:44 pm

I'd like to show you my tutorial of assembly additional oil temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor with UTCOMP. This description is for 1.9 JTD m-jet engine but idea is the same for all cars. I described it at Polish forum but I was asked to prepare description in English so here it is short version of tutorial ;-)

1. Oil temperature - additional sensor

Unfortunately my car doesn't have stock oil temperature sensor (what a shame). I bought sensor from Auto-Gauge:

01-oil-temperature-sensor-autogauge.jpg
01-oil-temperature-sensor-autogauge.jpg (87.54 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

This is most popular NTC type analog sensor - look's the same as for coolant temperature but has extended temperature range.
We can connect such sensor directly to UTCOMP (pin A20 or B8) and calibrate it, but I used it for other purpose. I drilled this sensor to fit DS18B20 digital temperature sensor (included in utcomp set) - it has range up to 125C (still enough) and 0,1C resolution (0,5C accuraccy) so it's much better than NTC sensors. I found this very helpful tutorial of soldering these sensors. I used thermal adhesive (glue) to fit DS18B20 inside:

02-ds18b20-with-npt-thread.jpg
02-ds18b20-with-npt-thread.jpg (115.01 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

03-ds18b20-as-oil-temperature-sensor.jpg
03-ds18b20-as-oil-temperature-sensor.jpg (125.52 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

Such prepared sensor can be assembled in car. I think the best place is oil sump, but I had not have such possibility. Popular solution is oil filter adapter with 2 slots for sensors, e.g.

04-oil-filter-adapter.jpg
04-oil-filter-adapter.jpg (97.62 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

but I found 2 free slots next to oil filter. As I know these slots are available in most Fiat/Alfa petrol & diesel engines:

05-free-slots-for-sensors.jpg
05-free-slots-for-sensors.jpg (235.95 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

06-free-slots-for-sensors2.jpg
06-free-slots-for-sensors2.jpg (225.69 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

Unfortunately these have M18 x 1.5 thread. Sensors have 1/8" NPT. We will need adapter:

m18-to-npt-thread-adapter.jpg
m18-to-npt-thread-adapter.jpg (176.14 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

I recommend to use thread glue (professional name is anaerobic adhesive I think), e.g. from LOCTITE (blue color) because there's high oil pressure. The other solution is thread seal tape (also known as PTFE tape).

adapters-fitted-in-the-engine.jpg
adapters-fitted-in-the-engine.jpg (327.52 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

2. Oil pressure - additional 0-10 bar sensor

I bought sensor from Auto-Gauge. Most popular are 3-160 Ohm from "Indiglo" and "Smoke" series, but I recommend you 240-33 Ohm from "Warning" and "Peak" series because they have better accuracy. Anyway, all oil pressure resistance sensors will work with UTCOMP.

sensors-and-adapters-with-anaerobic-glue.jpg
sensors-and-adapters-with-anaerobic-glue.jpg (201.86 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

Pressure sensor has also 1/8" NPT thread, so now you know why I need 2 adapters ;) Please do not forget to seal threads.

assembled-sensors.jpg
assembled-sensors.jpg (268.63 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

Sensor should be connected for any AdcVccX input in UTCOMP (pin A20 or B8). Sensor should be calibrated for UTCOMP. It's quite easy, but I give you direct calibration constants so you will do not need calculate it:

a = -12,4 (with minus!), b = 11,98.

You should set these constants in UTCOMP software (settings -> advanced -> pressure) and everything should work (for UTCOMP-3 and UTCOMP-PRO)

3. Conclusion

Assembly of additional sensors is quite easy and it's working like a charm. Customizable alerts in UTCOMP is excellent feature. I checked oil pressure accuracy with manometer and it's the same as displayed at UTCOMP's display in full range (I have 1.6 bar @ idle and up to 6,7 bar @ 3000 rpm with ~90C oil temperature). You can change units to PSI if you wish. Oil temperature also working nice, in easy driving there is about 75C (with outside temperature about 25C), but only when I go few minutes in high way, it's about 92-93C (I have stock oil cooler).

utcomp-pro.jpg
utcomp-pro.jpg (288.81 KiB) Viewed 14199 times

I asked Artur to share my movie on youtube, here you have link :arrow: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmncM2F9I4

I highly recommend you this solution because really accurate oil pressure gauge cost fortune (more than utcomp + sensor) and in UTCOMP you have also a lot of other very useful readings.

Return to “Tutorials”