Autodetect IC (mostly SPI)

Here you can ask technical questions about REVELPROG-IS and device/memory programming.
KALLE

Re: Autodetect IC (mostly SPI)

Postby KALLE » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:53 am

Hey ArT. Thanks for the clarification and offer for custom software with automatic CRC.
From my perspective many things can be improved and most of them are just very minor. Let me know if you think it makes sense to write things up or create more mockups.

Just to clairy my intensions visually I made some mockups.
Attachments
17-11-_2020_00-38-32.png
17-11-_2020_00-38-32.png (349.37 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
17-11-_2020_00-34-04.png
17-11-_2020_00-34-04.png (297.05 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
17-11-_2020_00-34-04-0000.png
17-11-_2020_00-34-04-0000.png (330.66 KiB) Viewed 4943 times

ArT

Postby ArT » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm sharing you working version with few of these improvements:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrodz9hdighay ... p.exe?dl=0 (link will be valid for few days)

Now you can select in settings autocalculation CRC32 for large buffers. You can also change default checksum to Checksum16 instead of CRC32. All suggestions with READ ID and autoselect chip based on ID can not be implemented at the moment :( it's not compatible with our memory database (it does not contain all devices with IDs) - if you have source for FLASH database with all devices with ID (it can be commercial for money) please let me know, it will help a lot. There are also some other improvements and bug fixes, e.g. shortcuts for read/write/erase operations, restore buffer size if you have selected to remember last selected device in settings and few other minor changes. It's not official version, but I'm sharing you it because I know you may be interested with it.

KALLE

Postby KALLE » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:26 am

Thanks for the goodwill in adding/changing stuff.
CRC works fine now but could be improved in two ways:
- Use black as color in the statusbar
- Disable the calculate pop-up message if the checkbox is selected (or make this an option)

I understand the problem about missing information in the Database. From my POV implementing something Read and Select (Autoselect) (like many programmers do) would be still a must have feature and a lack of database should not stop the implementation in this topic. The Database might not be big yet but can grow over time and (more important) a working implementation with known chips is better than none. It would be still better to have some auto select that uses "generic" like "25 064 [PP}" description (may as a fallback if it can not exactly identitied) than like currently none.

As shown in the Mookup/Screenshot the readout from "Read ID" is pointless if I can't read the sting/info/name of the chip if the field is just to small. This can be fixed very easily. Some shortcut for Read ID would also be nice. (Maybe Ctrl+I)

I can not directly help you with a IC / ID list but if you contact me via PM I might can push/help you in a direction here.
For now you could start with free/open available lists like this:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... ashchips.h
http://www.cnc-lab.com/idcodes.txt

Let me know what you think. I don't want to come across as a smart ass but I think this programmer/software has a big potential and is currently just not used.

ArT

Postby ArT » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:41 am

The field read ID is not to small - these dots (e.g. W25Q.. and W25SD..) are intended. The family was identified and the size was identified (128Mb). So you know that you can use FLASH -> 25series -> 25..128 [PP] universal procedure but you still do not know voltage. The problem is that W25Q... and W25SD... have the same ID for family, but different voltage. There is no way to identify it based on read ID. It can be identified only by signature on package or by measuring voltage in circuit. In latest devices there is also SPDR register with additional information about device. I agree that working implementation with known chips is better than none. I can't promise but I think that we can try to add such feature - at the beginning only for few chips and we will see.

ArT

Postby ArT » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:46 pm

Please share me symbols (device list) which you are using the most. We'll add these devices to autodect feature and I'll send you next beta version when it will be ready for tests.

Please check this proposition: https://youtu.be/Fb70E-Xq_fk

Accept button is improved, but it can not be removed (safety reasons and hint with connection diagram). Now when you click accept once, you do not need to click it every time, it's remembered until you change device series or device voltage. Clicking Read ID will close window if chip is fully detected. You can restore window by clicking Read ID icon or F10. Please let me know what you think.

KALLE

Postby KALLE » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 pm

Wow this is great news.
The list I personaly need most are SPI Chips (Notebook Bios ICs) so everything 3.3v from Winbond to MX/EN from 4MB to 32MB size.
I really appreciate the effort :)

ArT

Postby ArT » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi Kalle,

I have beta version for you for tests. Please check your PM.
Please update programmer to this beta version and test new READ ID and autodetect feature.

Click F10 to open READ ID

Added a lot of Device IDs (Winbonds, EONs, Gigadevice, Macronix, ISSI, Adesto etc.). For some of them auto select feature will work. For some of them it will display only device name.

Please check it and let me know what you think.

KALLE

Postby KALLE » Tue May 04, 2021 12:21 am

Thanks for implementing :)
I got pretty busy with other stuff rn but I will comeback to SPI programming :)

Return to “Technical Support”