Writing protected SFP / QSFP / XFP and searching password (brute force method)

Interesting examples and tutorials about REVELPROG-IS features and device programming
thankfly

Re: Writing protected SFP / QSFP / XFP and searching password (brute force method)

Postby thankfly » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:57 am

veegee wrote:
thankfly wrote:
siedar wrote:I'm looking for someone who passed program Sumitommo Electric (for Alcatel Lucent) SFP+ 10G SPP52000ER-A8 with Revelprog?

I can read A0/A2 but programing isn't possible. Access to memory is very slow to use BF.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Darius

Sumitomo need special hareware program to write.

Can you elaborate on this? What makes those transceivers special? Also, are HP transceivers different in any way?

Sumitomo need a special hareware to program. They are not only protected by password. And HP 10G SFP+ also need SPECIAL FIRMWARE to work with switch.

veegee

Re: Writing protected SFP / QSFP / XFP and searching password (brute force method)

Postby veegee » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:16 pm

Hmm, I successfully found the password for my Kiam XQX2502 modules, but it seems like after power cycling the module, changes are lost and the original data shows up. Is there a specific process to commit the writes to the module? I used the password tool to search for the password, then entered the found password and pressed execute, then made the needed changes to the vendor information and pressed "write buffer to memory". It appeared to have worked, because when I performed a "read memory to buffer", my changes showed up. But when power cycling the module, the changes were lost.

ArT

Postby ArT » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:07 pm

I had few similar cases, it can be 2 reasons:

1. there are few passwords with different access levels - you have found password which not allows for permanent changes - you need to search next password with higher priviliges
2. please try to write to single page of qsfp and byte by byte, you can do that by selecting QSFP[USER] and then select Area: Page Select (128 bytes), select page 0 and check "BP" checkbox. Please note that each page has 128 bytes and it will be second 128 bytes from standard 256 bytes read so please read single page before overwriting it (more details about memory map viewtopic.php?f=32&t=529 upper page 00h). You can also try single page write without BP checkbox. Any difference?

2022-07-22 130709.jpg
2022-07-22 130709.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 3649 times

Please let me know if it helped.

veegee

Postby veegee » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:56 am

ArT wrote:I had few similar cases, it can be 2 reasons:

1. there are few passwords with different access levels - you have found password which not allows for permanent changes - you need to search next password with higher priviliges
2. please try to write to single page of qsfp and byte by byte, you can do that by selecting QSFP[USER] and then select Area: Page Select (128 bytes), select page 0 and check "BP" checkbox. Please note that each page has 128 bytes and it will be second 128 bytes from standard 256 bytes read so please read single page before overwriting it (more details about memory map viewtopic.php?f=32&t=529 upper page 00h). You can also try single page write without BP checkbox. Any difference?
Please let me know if it helped.

Thanks for the reply! The single page/byte-by-byte had no effect. I think you're right about the access levels. The password that was found was 0xABCD1234, so it makes sense that it would be something like a test password. I'll let you know when the second password is found.

veegee

Postby veegee » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:15 am

It turns out that the KIAM XQX2502 doesn't have any other password. I think there is a non-standard protocol to program it, for example, something similar to the concept of port knocking. Not a big deal, it's trivial to make an I2C proxy chip to sit between the transceiver and the hardware.

I was able to find the password successfully for a couple of other modules though, which is convenient.

barhom

Postby barhom » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:33 pm

Quick question,

Is setting the password for SFP to FFFFFFFF the same thing as the SFP being unprotected?

ArT

Postby ArT » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:19 am

barhom wrote:Quick question,

Is setting the password for SFP to FFFFFFFF the same thing as the SFP being unprotected?

It depends. Some transceivers ignore password at all, some are using default password like 00 00 10 11 or FF FF FF FF or 00 00 00 00 (entering wrong password will lock transceiver, even if it was unlocked at the beginning).

snurre

Postby snurre » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:48 pm

veegee wrote:It turns out that the KIAM XQX2502 doesn't have any other password. I think there is a non-standard protocol to program it, for example, something similar to the concept of port knocking. Not a big deal, it's trivial to make an I2C proxy chip to sit between the transceiver and the hardware.

I was able to find the password successfully for a couple of other modules though, which is convenient.

Hi.

Did you find any solution for the KAIAM XQX2502 ? I didn't get any password at all when searching (took 17 days).
Can you elaborate "it's trivial to make an I2C proxy chip to sit between the transceiver and the hardware".
I want to use these with Arista hardware, but they complain about being not qualified. :(

Anyone else having any good ideas ?

Return to “Tutorials and Examples”