UTCOMP Android app (developement progress)

Update notes, news and general discussion about UTCOMP.
Pistou

Re: UTCOMP Android app (developement progress)

Postby Pistou » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Ok I will check this option. Do you have an apk available since I don't want to deal with playstore

Thanks

ArT

Postby ArT » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:08 pm

Wolfgangh

Postby Wolfgangh » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:22 pm

Is the Android app compatible with Android 11 running on a SAMSUNG Galaxy A32? I am an iPhone guy and have to get an Android phone now for my UTCOMP-Pro. A32 seems reasonably priced with high resolution screen.

ArT

Postby ArT » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:23 am

It's compatible with every android version above 5.0, but please note that UTCOMP will not charge your phone. Android multimedia station will be better choice if you would like to use android app every day (because it has +12V power supply from car). Phone will be fine if you would like to use it occasionally and you have assembled oled display.

ArT

Postby ArT » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:37 pm

Some people ask about floating icon for UTCOMP app - it's not necessary - you can use multitasking, I recorded short video how UTCOMP Android app looks with Google Maps: https://youtube.com/shorts/JhK8c3nZ56U?feature=share

Trappy

Postby Trappy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:37 pm

Hi, I only recently found the UTComp and I'm considering buying one soon. My goal all along was to use a digital dash to show a number of engine parameters but I've never been able to find one that can send the data to an Android device... until now. I want a BIG screen that's easy to see and notice if anything starts to go wrong in the engine. The biggest 3.2" would only be useful for a few metrics.

I haven't seen any video of one of these running on an Android device however and so I have a couple of questions.

First, would it run on an Android Auto head unit?

Second, If I connected the UTComp Pro to an Android Stereo, would it switch off other apps that were already running? E.g. music or Sat Nav?

Thanks,
Trappy

ArT

Postby ArT » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:59 pm

Unfortunately it's not working with stock Android Auto. You will need to connect USB cable between UTCOMP module and android device, e.g. android multimedia station (you should have few USB ports on the back) or even phone or tablet with OTG USB adapter. Android auto is closed standard and has limited access for apps, e.g. navigation apps or music apps and UTCOMP app will be not visible.

You can download UTCOMP app from google play store and run demo mode in upper right corner. Then you can customize your gauges and see how it will looks like before purchasing UTCOMP.

Trappy

Postby Trappy » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:32 pm

Thank you. I was steering away from a tablet permanently installed in the car option, as I've heard there can be fire risks with the batteries on hot days.

That said, I've downloaded the app to my phone and had a play with the gauges, setting them up as I'd like them and I'm very impressed. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

By 'Android Multimedia Station', can I assume that means a typcial single / double DIN Stereo / Headunit?

As before, my one remaining questions is around running multiple applications at once. Could I simultaneously use say Google Maps and split the screen so the gauges sit along side the navigation map? Or would running the UTCOMP app via the OTG USB connection override all apps and occupy the whole screen? I've used split screen on my phone to show that it would be possible on a phone / tablet, my question just concerns connecting a head unit to the UTCOMP directly via OTG USB.

ArT

Postby ArT » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:50 pm

Yes as multimedia station I mean 2din android unit. You can use multiple apps on single display only if your device supports multitasking (android 10 or above and it should not be "android go" because it's limited version of android without multitasking), so you can split screen and use google maps + utcomp app, here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JhK8c3nZ56U

ArT

Postby ArT » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:22 pm

UTCOMP Android update v0-1.6 will be soon available for beta testers (you can register for early access here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... ics.utcomp ) - app is during verification by Google Play.

We would like to continue developing UTCOMP Android app, but from few months we were blocked by the requirement imposed by Google Play to use latest libraries. App has been distributed with SDK28 until google prevented uploading updates of applications based on SDK28 to the store, so we were blocked from any app changes. It took a lot of work to move to SDK33, but finnaly it happend and we can move on.

By the way, there are few minor changes:
- better support for window mode and split screen mode
- auto-hide the toolbar after 5 seconds of inactivity, so you can focus on the dash itself (just touch any area of the screen to show it again)
- improved processing of logs downloaded from the device
- USB reconnection when a interrupted transmission is detected (some devices can whimsically turn off the entire USB for a moment)

I encourage you to sign up for the beta tests from the link above, as the application passes the verifications, the update will appear first for the subscribed user.

Return to “UTCOMP News, Updates and Other”