Data Logger (boost, egt, afr, temperatures recording)

Tips for UTCOMP's features and tutorials for assembling additional sensors in vehicles.
ArT

Data Logger (boost, egt, afr, temperatures recording)

Postby ArT » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:27 pm

Data-logger is new powerful feature available since v3.2 update for UTCOMP-PRO. It is possible to record up to 10 parameters and store it in internal memory. Parameters are logging simultaneously at a constant interval of time - it can be stored up to 3 hours of data for 10 parameters sampled every second. Maximum sampling frequency is 10 samples per second x10 parameters (~20 minutes of recording) so it is very useful as racing data logger, vehicle real-time parameters recording or just data acquisition for various applications. It's possible to import data from UTCOMP and save it to external .csv file. This type of file can be opened in any spreadsheet (e.g. MS Office, OpenOffice etc.) and data can be visualized on the charts, e.g.

• water (engine) temperature
  • oil temperature
  • oil pressure
  • turbo (boost) pressure
  • air fuel ratio (AFR1 and AFR2)
  • exhaust gas temperature (EGT1 - EGT6)
  • vehicle speed in time
  • battery voltage (charging)
  • current fuel consumption
  • engine rpm
and much more...

Example data-logger settings in UTCOMP application:
data-logger_settings.jpg
data-logger_settings.jpg (96.74 KiB) Viewed 17550 times

Collected data is very useful for later analysis - this leads to interesting conclusions such as:
  • what is turbo (boost) pressure during acceleration and deceleration? overboost exists?
  • is AFR (air fuel ratio) always in safe range? If not, in what circumstances it is not optimal? What are other parameters in the same time?
  • what about EGT (exhaust gas temperature) - is it not to high? If yes, in what circumstances it achieves to high temperature? What influence can have other parameters for it? How they change in the same time?
  • what is the highest oil temperature? is it in safe range?
  • what is oil pressure? Is it safe for engine when oil temperature is high?
  • if the water temperature is optimal? maybe thermostat is not working well?
  • when driving is the most economical? at what vehicle speed, engine load and engine rpm fuel consumption is lowest?

and so on... as you can see, the possibilities are endless.

Example raw data imported from UTCOMP-PRO (screenshot from Excel):
data-logger_data.jpg
data-logger_data.jpg (242.75 KiB) Viewed 17550 times

And something more interesting - data visualisation on charts (distance ~100km):
data-logger_charts_min.jpg
data-logger_charts_min.jpg (251.7 KiB) Viewed 17550 times

Quick interpretation: as you can see, oil temperature is rising quite fast on a constant high speed (cruise control is switched on) - from about 85 celsius degrees to 96C. What is more important - oil pressure is always on high level (over 6 bar). You may notice that engine (water) temperature have quite big oscillations - it is not stable as it should be - it may indicate problems with thermostat or cooler or... this is not bug, it's feature! ;)

Excel with above data:
data-logger_input-data_and_charts.xlsx
(450.2 KiB) Downloaded 918 times

UTCOMP-PRO sampling frequency from analog sensors is 50Hz (50 times per second) what you can see in real-time on oscilloscope screen. Data stored in data-logger sampled every 1 second are averaged from these 50 samples. Maximum sampling frequency is 10 times per second.

edit (dec 2018):
Now you can import data logs on your Android device!
Please take a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=408
UTCOMP-Android-Datalogger2.jpg
UTCOMP-Android-Datalogger2.jpg (203.14 KiB) Viewed 14254 times

bobnmona

Re: Data Logger - recording vehicle parameters (data logging)

Postby bobnmona » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:56 am

Thanks ArT, this is very useful! I do have a question - how is the data logging function activated? By mapping one of the three buttons? Sorry if you've covered this already, but I did not see it.
Best cheers!

Robbie

ArT

Postby ArT » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:40 am

You can activate data logger in settings -> advanced -> data-logger.

You can enable it:
- always when ignition is on or
- only when speed is greater than 0 or
- only when engine is running

bobnmona

Postby bobnmona » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:35 am

Thank you ArT - I found that tonight and I believe I will choose "only when the engine is running". I have configured the system as much as possible without the UTCOMP-Pro; I hope to receive it in the Post tomorrow, since it arrived in San Francisco late Friday afternoon. When I get it, I will upload the programming I have done so far, then will work on my truck to get the wires run to where the base unit will reside.

I'm looking forward to getting it all configured and will send you a link to a video when it's installed!
Best cheers!

Robbie

ArT

Postby ArT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Data logger now can record up to 5 samples per second for boost pressure, oil pressure, AFR (both channels) and EGT (all channels). On example picture is comparison between 1 sample/sec (1Hz) recording and 5 samples/sec (5Hz) recording for turbo pressure (acceleration for 30 seconds, zoomed in first few seconds). New feature will be available in v3.5 update.
Attachments
1Hz_vs_5Hz_data-logger_UTCOMP-PRO.jpg
1Hz_vs_5Hz_data-logger_UTCOMP-PRO.jpg (753.4 KiB) Viewed 16055 times

ArT

Re: Data Logger (boost, egt, afr, temperatures... data recording)

Postby ArT » Fri May 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Small update. Since v3.6.2 increased maximum sampling frequency to 10samples/sec for boost, EGT and AFR. You can record about 20minutes when you set 10sampl/s x10params (it will be enough for engine tuning and testing :-) )

AndieDini

Re: Data Logger (boost, egt, afr, temperatures recording)

Postby AndieDini » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi..over the time the Infinity has been in the car it has logged about 175 sessions. The Infinity automatically names the next log with a sequential number, yet looking back through them, there's about a dozen random missing sessions. The car always starts and runs fine so it's doubtful that this is a power supply issue.

turnkey pcb assembly
Last edited by AndieDini on Fri May 06, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ArT

Postby ArT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:24 am

Hello, could you share your .csv file? I'll take a look what's wrong

Kompressorphilipp

Postby Kompressorphilipp » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 am

Hello, i have -Datalogger off or avtivate manually-. Where can i activate the logger and where can i stop the recording?when i start next time create the logger in the csv file a new time stamp? Is it possible to log the injection time. The rpm Signal comes from the injection valve. When i modify my ecu Software all maps has a RPM and inj. Time scale.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Edit: i need only one acceleration in 4. Gear from 1000rpm-8000rpm. When its to mutch datas in the csv its hard to find the right spot (where is the important section)

ArT

Postby ArT » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Every time you start/stop datalogger manually it's creating timestamp. It's recommended to use Android UTCOMP application to download logs because it loads data in time frimes and you have nice charts for preview, please check this:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=408

Directly injection time is not possible in utcomp logs because it's recording data in selected time period samples (per 1 second.. per 200ms .. per 100ms etc) - injection time is rpm based not time period based.

Return to “Tutorials”